As 2017 comes to an end, the Stonewall Foundation of Greater Sacramento (SFGS) wishes to thank you for your interest in and support for our new organization. As you may know, SFGS began as a dream of Sam Catalano, for decades a devoted advocate and activist in the struggle for LGBTQA equity. More recently he sought to establish a non-profit entity in order to foster tomorrow’s leadership in LGBTQA advocacy through outreach, education and resource development. That dream became a reality this year as SFGS was launched and we were able to:
- Build a board of directors of dedicated volunteers with experience in organizing and advocacy;
- Establish a Sacramento State University scholarship in honor of esteemed LGBTQ advocate Laurie McBride, aimed at students demonstratin leadership in the LGBTQ community;
- Award the first McBride Scholarship to CSUS junior Vrindavani Avila;
- Introduce SFGS with a hosted event, raising funds to help finance the 2018 McBride Scholarship; and
- Advocate on behalf of our community at the CA Department of Education and local school board levels.
Our plans for 2018 include:
Awarding the McBride scholarship at a level that covers fees for a full academic year, while collaborating with the student recipient in outreach and advocacy;
Working with school districts and the community to reinforce observance of the CA Fair Education Act; and
Collaborating with community organization(s) to fund and administer an internship for a LGBTQ high school student.
We look forward to our work in the future so together we may foster understanding and nurture more advocates passionate about a more equitable world.
Wishing you the best in 2018.
Board of Directors
Stonewall Foundation of Greater Sacramento