ABOUT OUR SCHOLARSHIPS
The Stonewall Foundation of Greater Sacramento offers yearly scholarships for students attending Los Rios Community College and Sac State. Application due dates are usually in the Spring.
The applications are now closed for 2021. Check back next Spring for 2022-2023 scholarships applications.
Laurie McBride Memorial Scholarship
The Laurie McBride Scholarship offers 2 awards up to $7,500 for the 2021-2022 academic year to a qualified junior, senior, or classified graduate student. Open to all majors at Sac State.
- Students in their junior or senior year or classified graduates
- Required to submit a 500-1000 word essay describing “how you are an advocate for LGBTQ rights in the community, and how you plan to continue to advance LGBTQ equity, including involvement with any on-campus (e.g., Pride Center; ASI; and Office of Inclusive Excellence) and/or off-campus entities (e.g., Gender Health Center, Sacramento LGBTCommunity Center, etc.).”
- Applications with an attached letter of support from a campus or community agency engaged in LGBTQ advocacy will be viewed favorably.
Simply go to your Student Center and under Financial Aid Links click on “Apply for Scholarships.”
Application Deadline is March 02, 2021.
About Laurie McBride
The scholarship is named for long-time LGBTQ lobbyist and activist Laurie McBride. Laurie McBride was a leading advocate in California, pushing for statutory protections long before many activists considered doing so. She is a former legislative lobbyist who worked for decades in local, statewide and national movements for civil rights and political access for LGBTQ individuals. From 1990 to 1998, she was executive director of the Lobby for Individual Freedom and Equality, a state-wide coalition to advance gay rights across California. During this time she successfully led legislative efforts for employment protections, domestic partnerships, and HIV/AIDS treatment and prevention. She went on to work as a policy advisor and chief of staff in the legislature, and as Assistant Secretary of State. She also served as co-chair of National Stonewall Democrats for 10 years. The scholarship was created by the Stonewall Foundation to cultivate advocates who, like McBride, understand that fighting for equality requires consensus building, commitment and resolve.
Sam Catalano Scholarship
The Sam Catalano Scholarship offers 2 awards up to $2,000 for the 2021-2022 academic year to students attending Los Rios Community College.
- Los Rios Community College enrollment in 9 or more units
- Completed 24 or more units
- Planning to transfer to a four year university.
- Submit a 400-500 word essay answer to the question: How are you an advocate for LGBTQ rights in the community, and how do you plan to continue to advance LGBTQ equity, including involvement with any on-campus and/or off-campus entities?
- Applications with an attached letter of support from a campus group, staff, or faculty member or community agency will be viewed favorably.
Visit https://losrios.academicworks.com and submit an application through March 5, 2021. Complete the general application, and then select The Stonewall Foundation Sam Catalano Scholarship, where you can provide your essay.
About Sam Catalano
This scholarship is named for long-time LGBTQ activist Sam Catalano, a leading figure in civil rights organizing. He was instrumental in founding local organizations, the Sacramento Stonewall Democratic Club and the Stonewall Foundation of Greater Sacramento. His passion continues to be the education and promotion of LGBTQ Leadership and civic engagement, supporting LGBTQ candidates for public office at every level. Sam worked tirelessly to end discrimination and promote equality for all people. Funded by the Stonewall Foundation, the scholarship aims to support emerging advocates who understand that fighting for equality requires ongoing commitment and resolve.
PAST SCHOLARSHIP AWARDEES
2021 Sam Catalano Scholarship Awardees
University of California, Santa Barbara, Political science
University of California, San Diego, Cognitive Science - Machine Learning
2021 Laurie McBride Memorial Scholarship Awardees
Catie G. Bussey
California State University, Sacramento, English Composition, Rhetoric, and Professional Writing Master's Program
California State University, Sacramento, Math
2020 Sam Catalano Scholarship Awardees
Sacramento City College and American River College, Music Therapy, Ethnic Studies, and Gerontology
University of California, Davis, Psychology and Native American Studies
2020 Laurie McBride Memorial Scholarship Awardees
California State University, Sacramento, Communication Studies
California State University, Sacramento, Counseling
2019 Laurie McBride Memorial Scholarship Awardees
California State University, Sacramento, Social Work
California State University, Sacramento, Anthropology
2018 Laurie McBride Memorial Scholarship Awardees
California State University, Sacramento
2017 Laurie McBride Memorial Scholarship Awardees
California State University, Sacramento, Women and Ethnic Studies