The Board of Directors of the Stonewall Foundation of Greater Sacramento (SFGS) recognizes that the organization engages in fundraising and solicitation activity. In order to comply with federal, state and local laws, as well as applicable ethical norms regarding fundraising activity, SFGS has established this policy.
A. Oversight - All fundraising activity for SFGS is coordinated and directed by the Board of Directors, which shall annually review all fundraising activity by SFGS.
B. Use of Fundraising Professionals - Third parties are not affiliated with the organization must have approval from the Board of Directors prior to any solicitation on behalf of SFGS. Third party fundraisers engaged by the organization must be evidenced by a written agreement approved by SFGS.
C. Truth and Accuracy - All solicitation and fundraising materials and other communications to donors and the public shall clearly identify SFGS and be accurate.
- The Board of Directors shall review solicitation materials prior to publication for:
a. Material omissions or exaggerations of fact, or communication which would create a false impression or misunderstanding; and
b. Any content creating unrealistic expectations of what donor's gift will accomplish.
D. Donor Acknowledgement - SFGS shall provide all donors with specific acknowledgements of charitable contributions, where applicable.
E. Supervision - SFGS shall provide appropriate orientation of people soliciting funds on its behalf, whether employees or third-party representatives, to avoid use of techniques that are coercive, or intended to harass potential donors.
F. Compensation - SFGS shall pay fundraisers no more than reasonable compensation for services.
G. Gift Acceptance - Acceptance of any contribution, gift or grant is at the discretion of SFGS, and accepted only if it can be used consistently with the purpose of the organization.
- SFGS will remain from providing advice about the tax or other treatment of gifts.
- SFGS will accept donations of cash or publicly traded securities. Gift of in-kind services will be accepted at the discretion of SFGS.
- SFGS will provide acknowledgements to donors for property received as a gift. Except for gifts of cash and public traded securities, no value shall be ascribed to any receipt or other form of substantiation of a gift received.
- With respect to anonymous gifts, SFGS will restrict information about the donor to only those staff and/or board members with a need to know.
- SFGS will not compensate any third party for directing a gift or a donor to SFGS.
Approved April 19, 2019